Monday, October 18, 2004

You prayed God would bring me a brand new song...

First off, I want to thank you Trevor for the kind words you left me. I appreciate your encouragement and, as I said, your wisdom. Thank you for your steadfast friendship, though time and distance separate us. Emily, I look forward to talking to you more on Thursday night. Eastland here we come, baby! Can you say progressive dinner?!

Secondly, did you know that the 'Q' was missing from my can of Campbell's Alphabet Soup at lunch? As I pushed my spoon around I found A-P and then R-Z, but no Q. I feel jipped in a way. I urge you to go to your local grocery store, by some Campbell's, pop open a can, cook it on high for two minutes, sit down with some Zesta crackers and the bowl of soup and go through the alphabet. Maybe you will have the missing Q. Maybe one of your letters will be missing. Check it out and report back.

This weekend was nice and relaxing. Friday we took Jason out for his birthday. We went to Texas Roadhouse, but we did not tell them it was his birthday. I figure when we made him ride the saddle last year at TR, we had tormented him enough. It was a fun group and the steak was incredible, as always. The rest of the night we just hung out and talked. Saturday was Katie and Josh's wedding. It was really nice: quaint, elegant, simple. I loved it and she was a knock-out! The reception at the Windsor was beautiful. There was dancing, a slide show featuring the engagement shots I took of them what seems forever long ago-- at Rose Park and ones at the Church of the Heavenly Rest, and most importantly-- all kinds of cake! Chocolate cake, white cake, cheesecake! Excitement! I was asked to take more engagement photos by two couples at the wedding, so that should be fun, and I am taking Danielle and her boyfriend Wayne's pictures this Saturday. The rest of Saturday I spent cleaning and doing homework because I knew we would be up and out late. We ate dinner and, ironically, watched bits and pieces of "The Growing Pains Reunion"! :) Kim made all of us chicken fettucini alfredo, Danielle made the peach tea, I made nothing-- which is how I like it. Carrie, Kris and I just sat around until dinner was ready-- that's the life. Later that evening we went to Java City and then to The Leaf where Levi Smith was playing. He was incredible and Kris bought and burned his album for us. It has this great, acoustic feel and I am thoroughly enjoying it. That night was the Halloween party in theatre, and that was awesome! The costumes alone were worth going for. We ate pizza and cookies and played murder in the dark, which is always exciting! Danielle and I ended up going home around 2:30 and I wrote for awhile and then went to bed around four. Sunday was the most exciting day for me because the sermon at FBC was incredible, and it was great to see my friend Luke who now lives in New York; he is in Nathan Lane's musical "Frogs" on Broadway. The song, the message, the hymns, everything was incredible and it was just what I needed to hear. I have ordered a tape of it, and Emily-- I think you may enjoy it! Last night I went to coffee with Rachel and it was such a breath of fresh air. We drove around and listened to Sara Groves and The Normals and just talked about life, friends, trials, relationships, grace, etc. I was going to put up Ginny Owens lyrics today, but in writing the last line, I am thinking back to the song "More Than You'll Ever Know" by Watermark. It seems so fitting. Remember when we used to drive around singing it, Emily? For purposes of nostalgia, and purposes of thankfulness, I will put them here:

"More Than You'll Ever Know" by Watermark

Something brought you to my mind today.
I thought about the funny ways
you make me laugh,
and yet I feel like it's okay to cry with you.
Something about just being with you,
when I leave I feel like I've been with God
and that's the way it ought to be, yeah.

'Cause you've been more than a friend to me,
you fight off my enemies.
'Cause you have spoken the truth over my life.
And you'll never know what it means to me,
just to know you've been on your knees for me.
Oh, you have blessed my life
more than you'll ever know.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, more than you'll ever know.
Yeah, yeah, yeah.

You had faith when I had none.
You prayed God would bring me a brand new song,
when I didn't think I could find the strength to sing.
And all the while I've been hoping that I'll
do the kind of praying for you that you've done for me,
and that's the way it ought to be, yeah.

You have carried me.
You have taken upon a burden
that wasn't your own, yeah.
May that blessing return to you
a hundredfold.
Oh oh yeah, a hundredfold.

'Cause you've been more than a friend to me,
you fight off my enemies.
'Cause you have spoken the truth over my life.
And you'll never know what it means to me,
just to know you've been on your knees for me.
Oh, you have blessed my life
more than you'll ever know.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, more than you'll ever know.
Yeah, yeah, yeah more than you'll ever know.
More than you'll ever know.

One lesson I have learned this weekend is that we need to be on our knees for all reasons. For our friends, for our enemies, for those we have hurt, for those that have hurt us, for forgiveness, for healing, for reconciliation, for wisdom, for thanks, to ask questions, to express doubts, even to voice anger. We need to come to Him with all things, and that is something I overlook. I want to take things on my own, plow through them with my own steam. Sometimes I only pray for myself, expressing thankfulness or concerns or requests, but in praying for the hearts of others we become less hardened. Matthew 5:7 says, "Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy." In prayer there is forgiveness and peace and happiness. The Normals write, "Heaven holds a promise for every friend we've left behind, and Time is not the ruler like I thought he was. Someday soon we'll wake up, wake to see each other running. Arms open. All if forgiven. Heaven heals." What a terrific image. One that tugs on your heart strings. That there will be a day when everyone that has walked away or that I have walked away from-- barriers will be dropped and we will all come back together. When God has healed us all, where there is no anger or malice...only forgiveness and love, there we will come running with arms open. I am ready for that day!

1 comment:

wildlawman said...

Great songs...and you're very welcome, Melia! And thank you as well for your friendship! God has truly blessed me with wonderful friends (even if it takes forever to see them again)! Blessings on you, Melia, and I hope to hear from you soon! :-)