Thursday, October 21, 2004

In Eastland, the options are endless...

Gasoline: $15.00
Dinner: $8.00
Ice cream for two: $4.54
Drink at Sonic: $1.29
Total driving time: 2 hours
Spending three hours with a friend you haven't seen in a while: Priceless

I just got back from my rendevous in Eastland with Emily; she has deemed tonight the "Pulido-palooza"! The drive was awesome, and I felt more at peace than I have in a while. It was just me, the open road, good music, and I felt so relaxed on the way down there and back that I found myself driving under the speed limit, which is not like me at all. The drive back was great because there was no traffic and the sky was clear so I could see the stars! I really took my time and drove and listened to music and it was great because I didn't have any deadlines or pressures or time frames. No one was waiting on me at home, so I could get back as late as I wanted. The meeting time was also flexible, and I love that.

We ate at Pulido's Mexican Restaurant for dinner. I had the chicken enchilada dinner and it was terrific, plus our waiter was super handsome! It was nice to catch up with Emily and hear all about medical school and the cute boys and the hard exams, etc. We talked about guitars and music, concerts she's been to, friends (old and new), writing, etc. She let me read a few passages to her from what I have so far of my autobiography, and it was great getting her feedback. It's easy to forget the feeling of "someone gets me"-- I love that feeling and I love that Emily "gets" me and always has. We went to DQ for dessert and got blizzards. I highly recommend the DQ in Eastland, as there is this little...we called it a "nook"...right out front. There are several trees that surround it, and except for the Eastland cop that kept passing, it was a great place to sit and talk. I predict, in the year 2024, Eastland will be a thriving metropolis. You hide and watch! :)

It's time for a brief funny story: Tonight, I am waiting at McDonald's for Emily and I clean out my glove compartment, flip through a magazine, and then I grab my Bible looking for a specific verse for Sunday's service. I am sitting there, flipping through the New Testament, when through my window I hear this high-pitched barking. I see a dog in the car next to me, going crazy. I think it was a Chihuahua. The owner(s) had tied its leash around the rear view mirror (who does that?) and it was desperately trying to climb out the window. It was hopping around and the mirror would keep yanking him back. I think it would have been so choice if the mirror had been ripped completely off by this tiny, ferocious animal and the dog had been found wandering down Interstate 20, dragging the mirror behind.

Anyway, what made it even funnier is that I didn't truly take it in until later. Instead, I went right back to reading out of Romans. I read Ch. 12, and though I have read it before, it truly struck a chord. In verses 9-12 Paul writes, "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer." The rest of the chapter is great, so if you feel so inclined, read it; I know you will enjoy it. The main reason I even posted this is because I am so thankful that the Bible gives its readers little "nuggets" of wisdom, if you will. Kind of summaries of much more broad subjects. These verses are so simply put, but they encompass so much. Think if all Christians aspired to these concepts, people would know we were different right off the bat. What if we lived in a world where everyone was sincere, devotion was consistent in people's characters instead of a rarity, and we were able to sit and wait for answers instead of growing impatient? Wouldn't that be an incredible society to live in?

If you read this and you live in Abilene and you do not go to church or you are not going this Sunday, you can always watch First Baptist on television (I think it's channel 5, but if not it is 4 or 10). The sermon this week is going to be great, and we are singing "How Beautiful". For those of you that grew up at First Baptist (or Emily who sang in the choir there), you should find this both ironic and funny. Don't get me wrong, I love "How Beautiful"; how could you not love Twila Paris?! I just believe that in my (approximately) seven years in the church choir, we sang "How Beautiful" (approximately) ten times. Not to mention several times in choir at A-high. This time, I am changing it up, because for the first time I am singing alto. It's different and fun; I like it. Anyway, we will be singing that in the service on Sunday. Also, mark your calendars because I want you all to come, FBC is hosting a program called "Christmas at the Paramount" and I believe it's on December 5th. Todd, the director, wants the entire event to feel like you are at your grandma's house for Christmas, so there will be cookies, and cider, and Christmas trees, and festive music, etc. The choir is doing most of the program and the music I got on Wednesday for the big event is a lot of fun. Please come! If you want tickets, let me know. They are free. That's right ladies and gentlemen...free. You could come, bring a date, free date night!

Well, I need to get to bed soon. Tomorrow I am going shopping with my mother and grandmother, and then tomorrow night I have the big double date with Danielle. I am not going with Danielle. Danielle's boyfriend Wayne is in town and they have set me up.

1 comment:

emily said...

I think you've said it all... and so well as only a fabulous writer can! Excellent work... I might just copy your blog for my entry! Wait, is that plagiarism?! Hmm... I'll have to mull this over. Great night, one for the books and for the blogs!